Valdivia is a city and commune in southern Chile administered by the Municipality of Valdivia. The city is named after its founder Pedro de Valdivia and is located at the confluence of the Calle-Calle, Valdivia and Cau-Cau Rivers, approximately 15 km east of the coastal towns of Corral and Niebla. Since October 2007, Valdivia has been the capital of the newly created Los Rios Region and is also the capital of Valdivia Province. The commune of Valdivia had 140,559 inhabitants (Valdivianos) of which 127,750 lived in the city according to the 2002 census. The main economic activities include tourism, wood pulp manufacturing, forestry, metallurgy, and beer production. The city is also the home of the Universidad Austral de Chile, founded in 1954, and Centro de Estudios Cientificos.
The city of Valdivia and Chiloe Island were once the two southernmost enclaves of the Spanish Empire. From 1645 to 1740, the city depended directly on the Viceroyalty of Peru that financed the building of the Valdivian fort system, which turned Valdivia into one of the most fortified cities of the New World. In the second half of 19th century, Valdivia was the port of entry for German immigrants who were given land and settled in the surrounding areas.
The city was severely damaged by the Great Chilean Earthquake of 1960 the most powerful earthquake ever recorded. Debris and destroyed buildings from the earthquake can still be found in the suburban areas land subsidence and sediments make navigation of the local rivers complex, with some ruined buildings still adjoining the water.
See also: Timeline of Valdivian history
The site of Valdivia may have been populated since 12,000 11,800 B.C according to archaeological discoveries in Monte VerdeDillehay, Tom, Monteverde: A late Pleistocene settlement in Chile , which would place it about a thousand years before the Clovis culture in North America. This challenges the "Clovis First" model of Migration to the New World and it is possible that the first inhabitants of Valdivia and Chile travelled to America by watercraft and not across a land-bridge in the Bering Strait.
During at least the Middle Archaic the southern Chile was populated by indigenous groups that shared a common lithic culture called the Chan-Chan Complex after the archaeological site of Chan-Chan located just some 35 km north of Valdivia along the coast.
By the time of the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores, Valdivia was inhabited by Huilliches (Mapudungun for People of the South). Huilliches and Mapuches were both referred by the Spaniards as Araucanos. Their main language was a variant of Mapudungun, the Mapuche language.
There was a large village called Ainil in present day downtown Valdivia, and the Valdivia River was called Ainilebu. Ainil seemed to have been an important trade center due to its ease of access to the sea and the interior using the river network of the Cruces and Calle-Calle Rivers, both tributaries of the Valdivia. Ainil may be described as "a kind of little Venice" as it had large areas of wetlands and canals, most of them now drained or filled. The market in Ainil received shellfish and fish from the coast, legumes from Punucapa, and other foods from San Jose de la Mariquina, an agricultural zone north east of Valdivia. A remnant of this ancient trade is the modern Feria Fluvial on the banks of Valdivia River. The surroundings of Valdivia were described as large plains having a large population that cultivated potatoes, maize, quinoa and legumes among other crops. The population has been estimated by some historians as 30-40 thousand inhabitants as of 1548 based on descriptions made by the conquistadors. Pedro Marino de Lobera, an early conquistador and chronicler wrote that there were half a million Indians living within ten leagues from the city. Other historians consider these numbers too high and argue that early Spaniards usually exaggerated in their descriptions.
Later Charles Darwin would state that "there is not much cleared land near Valdivia" which suggests that pre-Hispanic agriculture in Valdivia was far more extensive than the agriculture practiced in the early 19th century.
Spanish colony (1544-1810)
The first European to visit Valdivia River's estuary was the Genoese captain Juan Bautista Pastene, who took possession of it in 1544 in the name of the Spanish king, Charles V. He named the river after the Governor of Chile Pedro de Valdivia.
Pedro de Valdivia later traveled by land to the river described by Pastene, and founded the city of Valdivia in 1552 as Santa Maria la Blanca de Valdivia. It was the southernmost Spanish settlement in the Americas at the time of the founding. Following the establishment of the church of Santa Maria la Blanca in Valdivia, more buildings were constructed, so many that it was considered "the second city in the Kingdom of Chile" by Marino de Lobera. Many of Chile's most influential conquistadors and future governors were granted land in Valdivia such as Jeronimo de Alderete, Rodrigo de Quiroga, Francisco and Pedro de Villagra apart from the proper Pedro de Valdivia.
Jeronimo de Bibar, a chronicler who witnessed the founding wrote:Jeronimo de Vivar - Cronica y relacion copiosa y verdadera de los reynos de Chile - Ended in 1558. Transcription of Irving Leonard published by Fondo Historico y Bibliografico Jose Toribio Medina, Santiago de Chile, 1966
After Pedro de Valdivia's death, the war with the Mapuches, called the War of Arauco, continued as the Spanish made many attempts to defeat the Mapuche and defend the cities and forts built on their territory. On March 17 of 1575 the city was damaged by an earthquake similar to the Great Chilean Earthquake of 1960. Until 1575 the Huilliches of Valdivia had not made any notable resistance against their new rulers. They had even fought as Indios amigos with the Spanish against the northern Mapucuhes in the Arauco War. But that year 4,000 Indians that had been fighting in Martin Ruiz de Gamboa's army rebelled when they returned to the surroundings of Valdivia.
During the 16th century the economy of Valdivia was sustained by commerce of agricultural pruducts from nearby areas and by coining and export of placer gold from Villarrica, Madre de Dios and Osorno. All this gold was called gold from Valdivia in Lima and the rest of Chile. Many merchants of Lima had envoys in Valdivia and the city developed a large ship building industry which produced the largest ships in the Kingdom of Chile.
After the demoralising Battle of Curalaba in 1598, in which the Mapuches killed governor Onez de Loyola, the Mapuches and Huilliches made a mass rebellion. The Indians proceeded to destroy or force the abandonment of all the Spanish settlements and forts in their lands, in what came to be known as the Destruction of the Seven Cities. On the morning of 24 November 1599 Huilliches entered the city and massacred it's inhabitants, some few being rescued by the ships in the harbour. The border of the Spanish Empire shifted north of the Bio-Bio River, while the later refounded city of Valdivia remained a Spanish enclave surrounded by native Huilliche territory, and along with the island of Chiloe, continued to be the southernmost colonies of the Empire.
Eleven days after the first destruction of Valdivia, a group of 270 Spanish soldiers arrived from Peru. The commander of the troops, colonel Francisco del Campo was convinced that the city of Valdivia needed to be repopulated. After Francisco del Campo's expedition left, the Dutch corsair Sebastian de Cordes occupied the site of Valdivia for some months, giving the Dutch government information about this abandoned part of the Spanish Empire. The Spaniards returned on 13 March of 1602, when captain Francisco Hernandez Ortiz established a fort on the ruins of the city. On September 24 natives attacked the fort unsuccessfully, but laid siege. The Spaniards could not acquire food or supplies, and on 3 February 1604 abandoned the fort, with the last starving survivors rescued by ship.
The Dutch governor of the East Indies Hendrik Brouwer, learned about the situation in Valdivia, and decided to establish a base there for further attacks against the Viceroy of Peru. This plan was well accepted as the Netherlands was at war with Spain. The Dutch had previously taken the North of Brazil from the Spanish-Portuguese crown, and the idea of creating a South American empire was attractive. In spite of his advanced age, Hendrik Brouwer left his post as governor in the East Indies to personally lead the expedition. The Dutch fleet destroyed the Fort of Carelmapu and the city of Castro before arriving at Corral Bay at the mouth of the Valdivia River. Hendrik Brouwer died the 7th of August in Puerto Ingles while waiting for better winds to sail north to Valdivia. John Maurice of Nassau while in charge of the Dutch part of Brazil had equipped the expedition and had secretly appointed Elias Herckman as commander if Brouwer died. Herckman finally occupied the ruins of Valdivia in 1643. The Dutch did not find the gold mines they expected and the hostility of the natives forced them to leave on 28 October, 1643.
Pedro Alvarez de Toledo y Leiva Viceroy of Peru (1639-1648) knew of the strategic importance of Valdivia and decided to repopulate and fortify it once for all. He financed partly the expedition to repopulate Valdivia with his own capital. The contingent in charge of the mission was organized in Peru and consisted of seventeen ships filled with building materials and supplies that astounded contemporaries by its magnitude. The local government of Chile could not secure Valdivia as it was engaged in continuous war with the Mapuches and was deeply dependent on the Real Situado, an annual payment of silver from Potosi to finance the army of Chile. The Valdivia enclave was placed directly under the control of the Viceroyalty of Peru that administered Valdivia from its repopulation in 1645 until 1740. Corral, located on the river entrance to Valdivia, became one of the most fortified bay at the time, with 17 forts. During this time it was several times proposed to move the city of Valdivia to Mancera Island. Valdivia's original site, downtown of modern Valdivia was repopulated in 1684.
From the 18th century onwards Valdivia was used as a base for colonization of southern Chile. This was partly fueled by rumours about a fabulous city called Trapananda, Lin Lin or City of the Caesars that was situated in the unexplored lands of Patagonia. An expedition from Valdivia searching for this city founded Rio Bueno in 1777. In 1784 the Governors of Chile and Chiloe were ordered to establish a Camino Real from Valdivia to Chacao Channel in order to connect Ancud with Valdivia by a land road. This led to the celebration of the treaty of Rio Bueno with local Huilliches in 1789. But by 1792 the Huilleches rebelled and planned to assault Valdivia. In 1793 the Parliament of Las Canoas was arranged. This treaty allowed the Spanish to build the road and repopulate Osorno in 1796. Osorno had previously been destroyed in 1602. With the Parliament of Las Canoas the local Huilliches became subjects of the Spanish Crown but were allowed to retain their lands and social structure. They were also meant to defend the land against Spain's enemies and the Spanish to defend them from hostile tribes. By the same time Huilliche lands around Valdivia were slowly overtaken by mestizos and nearby Indians became "reduced" ], "pacified" by a combination of military force and conversion into Christianity. The territories north of Valdivia were not totally incorporated into the Chilean state until the 1880s when the Chilean army overwhelmed the indigenous resistance during the occupation of the Araucania.
Independence and growth (1811-1959)
Self governing juntas appeared in Spanish America and Spain after Napoleon occupied Spain and held the Spanish king Fernando VII captive. Many juntas, as was the case of Chile, declared plans to rule their territory in the absence of the legitimate king. At the time of the first governing junta of Chile in 1810 the Valdivian governor, an Irishman, Albert Alexander Eagar, led the celebration of what was seen as an affirmation of the legitimacy of the Spanish king. However, Valdivian independentists, such as Camilo Henriquez, saw an opportunity to gain absolute independence from Spain, organized a coup on 1 November of 1811, and joined other Chilean cities that were already revolting against the old order. Four months after the coup, on 16 March of 1812 a counterrevolutionary coup took control of the city and created a War Council. The War Council broke trade relations with the rest of Chile and confirmed Valdivia's loyalty to the Spanish government.
Even after several defeats of the Spanish troops during the Chilean Independence War, Valdivia and Chiloe remained loyal to the Spanish King. By 1820 the newly created Chilean Navy, commanded by Lord Thomas Cochrane, captured Valdivia, but failed to liberate Chiloe. Cochrane's land-based attack took the Spanish by surprise, avoiding a direct confrontation with the highly-defended forts at the entrance to the Valdivia River. When loyal troops in Valdivia heard the news about the fall of Corral they sacked the city and fled south to reinforce Chiloe, passing by Osorno.
Chilean Supreme Director, and Libertador, Bernardo O'Higgins founded the city of La Union south of Valdivia in 1821, to secure the way to Osorno, city that had been repopulated in 1796 by his father Ambrosio O'Higgins. Valdivia had been a province of the General Captaincy of Chile and was in 1826 incorporated as one of the eight provinces of Chile.
On February 20, 1835, Valdivia was affected by the worst earthquake in the area in several decades, event witnessed by Charles Darwin. He also stated that "there is not much cleared land near Valdivia" which contrasted with the description made by early Spaniards of large fields and extensive croplands.
The expansion and economic development of the city were limited in the early 19th century. To jump-start economic development, the Chilean government initiated a highly focused immigration program under Bernhard Eunom Philippi and later Vicente Perez Rosales as government agents. Through this program, thousands of Germans settled in the area, incorporating then-modern technology and know-how to develop agriculture and industry. While immigrants that arrived to the Llanquihue area where often poor farmers, Valdivia received more educated immigrants, including political exiles and merchants. Some of the immigrants that arrived in Valdivia established workshops and built new industries. One of the most famous immigrants was Carlos Anwandter, an exile from Luckenwalde who arrived to Valdivia in 1850 and in 1858 founded Chile's first German school. Other Germans left the city and became settlers, drawn by the promise of free land. They were often given forested land, which they cleared to turn into farms. Native Mapuche and Huilliche either sold their land or were pushed into reservations. The Osorno department of Valdivia Province was moved to Llanquihue Province (created in 1853) as consequence of German immigration to the Llaquihue area.
Valdivia prospered with industries, including shipyards, the Hoffmann gristmill, the Rudloff shoe factory, the Anwandter beer company and many more. The steel mills of Corral were the largest recorded private investment in Chile at the time, and were the first steel mills in South America. In 1891 Valdivia became a commune according to a law that created such subdivisions. After the Malleco Viaduct was built in 1890 the railroads advanced further south, reaching Valdivia in 1895. The first passenger train arrived in 1899. In 1909 a fire destroyed 18 city blocks in downtown Valdivia, which were rebuilt with modern concrete buildings. By 1911 lumber production, from clearing native forests, became the most important industry. Cattle-raising was a growing industry, and wheat was grown on the cleared lands. Lumber, cattle, leather, flour and beer were exported. In 1895 the city's population was of 8,062 inhabitants and was estimated in 9,704 as of 1902.
The economic prosperity of Valdivia continued throughout the first half of the 20th Century. In 1917 the first "Valdivian Week" was celebrated. Chile's oldest beauty content, "Queen of The Rivers" began the same year. The city evolved as an early tourist center in Chile, while popular songs that named Valdivia and the Calle-Calle River made it better known in Chilean popular culture. The Pedro de Valdivia Bridge crossing the Valdivia River was built in 1954. Valdivia came to be one of the most important industrial centre in Chile together with the capital Santiago and the main port city, Valparaiso.
The commercial and human flux Valdivia suffered two setbacks in early 20th century, first the connection of Osorno by railroad to central Chile which meant that Valdivia lost the quality of being the port that connected Osono to Central Chile. Later on 1911 the opening of the Panama Canal meant a decrease in ship traffic all over Chile since ships travelling fom the north Atlantic to north Pacific did not longer had to pass trought the Straits of Magellan or visit any Chilean port.
Great Chilean Earthquake and Los Lagos Region (19602006)
See also: Great Chilean Earthquake, Rinihuazo, Los Rios Region.
On May 22, 1960, south-central Chile suffered the most powerful earthquake ever recorded, rating 9.5 on the Moment magnitude scale, with Valdivia being the most affected city. The earthquake generated devastating tsunamis that affected Japan and Hawaii. Spanish-colonial forts around Valdivia were severely damaged, while soil subsidence destroyed buildings, deepened local rivers, and created wetlands of the Rio Cruces y Chorocomayo - a new aquatic park north of the city.
Large sections of the city flooded after the earthquake, and a landslide near the Tralcan Mount dammed the Rinihue Lake. Water levels in Lake Rinihue rose more than 20 meters, raising the danger of a catastrophic break and of destroying everything downriver. Government authorities drew plans for evacuating the city, but many people left on their own. Danger to the city was reduced after a large team of workers was able to open a drainage channel in the landslide, allowing water levels of the lake to slowly reduce to normal levels. There is evidence that a similar landslide and earthquake happened in 1575.
The 1973 Chilean coup d'etat and the military's actions that followed bought dozens of detainees to Valdivia. In October a group of 12 young men, among them Jose Gregorio Liendo, were bought from the Complejo Forestal y Maderero Panguipulli in the Andes to be executed in Valdivia by firing squad due to alleged participation in the assault on Neltume police station and "guerrilla activities".
After the Great Chilean Earthquake Valdivia's economy and political status declined. Much of the city was destroyed and many inhabitants left. By 1974, the military junta reorganized the political divisions of Chile and declared Valdivia a province of the Los Lagos Region with Puerto Montt as the regional capital. Many Valdivians resented the decision, and felt theirs should have been the legitimate regional capitalwhile Valdivia was founded in 1552, and had resisted pirate attacks, hostile natives and several earthquakes, Puerto Montt was a relatively new city founded only in 1853 (three hundred and one years later).
Since the liberalization of the economy in Chile in the 1980s the forestry sector in Valdivia boomed, first by exporting wood chips to Japan from Corral and then by producing woodpulp in Mariquina . This led to deforestation and substitution of native Valdivian temperate rainforests to plant pines and eucalyptus, but also created new jobs for people with limited education. Valdivia also benefitted from the development of salmon aquaculture in the 90s, but to a much lesser extent than places such as Puerto Montt and Chiloe.
Valdivia is often promoted for its unique characteristics, that make it different from other cities in Chile: Valdivia has an early Spanish colonial past, plus a later history of German colonization. Both eras left visible landmarks such as the forts of Corral Bay and the German-style wood houses. The governments of Spain and Germany currently maintain honorary consulates in Valdivia. The city is commonly seen as a tourist magnet in Chile, and sometimes described as La Perla del Sur (The Pearl of the South) and as La ciudad mas linda de Chile (''Chile's most beautiful city).
Every year during the summer months of January and February the municipality organizes many free cultural events along the river site, such as concerts, sporting events, and other entertainment. To mark and celebrate the end of the touristic summer months, half way through February all entertainment reaches its climax with the celebration of noche de Valdivia(Valdivian night). During this night many local groups and communities present themselves on boats during a night parade over the river. Every boat has its own theme related with one theme of that year. At the end a jury picks the winners in different categories. The parade is by tradition started by a boat which presents la reina de los rios.
In recent years Valdivians have showed an increasing interest in nature and ecotourism. An example of this was the formation of Accion por los Cisnes'' an ecologist group formed to protect black-necked swans and the natural environment that surrounds the city, particularly wetlands created or expanded by the Great Chilean Earthquake.
With the founding of Universidad Austral in 1954 and the arrival of the CECS research center, Valdivia is now considered a major research center in Chile, particularly in areas related to nature such a glaciology and ecology.
The Great Chilean Earthquake and the national government's creation of the Los Lagos Region were difficult for Valdivian society. Valdivians resented to be punished first by a major earthquake and then by being placed under the administration of what they perceived to be a less-deserving city, Puerto Montt. The recent creation of a new, smaller, but more independent region (Los Rios), with Valdivia as its capital, reduced the previous stigma.
Spanish colonial influences
During much of the colonial period, Valdivia was essentially a military camp, a walled city surrounded by hostile natives. The coastal defenses and their garrisons made up a large part of the population. After several fires and earthquakes, nearly all buildings from this period were destroyed, with the exception of the military defenses. Valdivia's best known historical landmarks are now the two towers which were part of a former city wall, built by the Spaniards to defend the city, known as Los Torreones. Many of Valdivia's oldest families have their roots in Peru as Valdivia historically depended on the Viceroyalty of Peru.
Since the first Germans migrated to Valdivia in the mid-1850s, German cultural influence has been visible in the city. Germans in Valdivia settled mostly in the Isla Teja and Collico suburban areas. Until the building of Pedro de Valdivia Bridge, inhabitants of Isla Teja lived isolated from the city, where it was common that children first learned to speak German before Spanish. Nowadays the German language is preserved by the Instituto Aleman Carlos Andwanter one of Latin America's oldest German schools. German descendants also form Valdivia's oldest fire station Germania, located in Isla Teja.
German immigrants and their descendants formed their social club Club Aleman, which after World War II changed names to Club la Union. German workers once had their own club simply called El Aleman (The German).
Valdivia also hosts Bierfest Valdivia, a celebration that could be described as a small, regional Oktoberfest, despite being celebrated in late January or February of every year . The main sponsor and organizer is Kunstmann, Valdivia's local beer company, founded by German nationals, but since bought out by the largest beer and beverages company in Chile (CCU).
The geography of the Valdivia area is that of hills, wetlands and alluvial terraces. Several rivers, such as Cau-Cau, Calle-Calle and Cruces joins near the city forming the larger Valdivia River. Valdivia River in turn empties to Corral Bay in the Pacific Ocean just some 15 km west of Valdivia. This river network made Valdivia a trade center even since Pre-Hispanic times. The city itself was built on a riverine terrace but expanded later over adjacent wetlands. Nowadays the city is virtually surrounded by hills by all sides except north where Valdivia's lowlands connect to the flatlands of San Jose de la Mariquina. The hilly areas around Valdivia are covered with forest, some of which correspond to planted exotic species such as Douglas-fir, Pinus radiata and Eucalyptus globulus. Other areas of forest are used for conservation and recreational purposes although some parts the forest have given place to new urbanizations.
Valdivia has a temperate rainy climate with mediterranean influences. Valdivia's climate may also be classified as oceanic. The natural vegetation is the Valdivian temperate rainforests.
During the summer months the average temperature is about 17 C, while in winter the temperature descends to 9 C. The annual average temperature for Los Rios Region is 11 C, while the mean temperature amplitude is 8.8 C and the daily is 11 C. Average annual precipitation is 2,593 mm, distributed through the year, but primarily between March and December. Hail occurs with some frequency during winter, but snow falls rarely. The last times it snowed in Valdivia were in July 2007 and in August 1995 during the so-called [[:es:Terremoto Blanco|Terremoto Blanco]] (Spanish for White Earthquake). The Seven Lakes in the interior help to keep an average relative humidity of 80% for the region as whole and there are no months with less than 75% average humidity. The precipitation is generated by frontal systems that cross the zone, which produce cloudiness and few clear days. The leeward effect of the Valdivian Coast Range is minimal due to its low height (715 m at Cerro Oncol) and the gap in the range at Valdivia River's outflow to the Pacific Ocean. Recent climate change have caused precipitations to drop in southern Chile during the period 1961-2000 with the highest decrease, of -15 mm a1, being registered in Valdivia.
The oldest rocks in Valdivia are pelithic schists, micaceosus slates, metagreywackes and oceanic type mafic metavolcanics. The schist, slates and greywackes originated from sedimentation, probably above the oceanic crust of a passive continental margin for more than 400 mya. As part of the subduction zone in western Gondwana and later South America the sediments become folded and faulted in a forearc wedge. While being subducted in an ancient Peru-Chile Trench they underwent medium-grade metamorphism after a combination of low temperature and high pressure. Along with sedimentary rocks parts of the basaltic ocean crust were also deformed. These rocks emerged to the wedge surface later by buoyancy and erosion of overlying material. They constitutes now the Bahia Mansa Metamorphic Complex which collided or accrecented to South America in Early Paleozoic.
After the amalgamation of Gondwana and Laurentia into Pangea, the subduction at the western edge of the continent ceased for a brief period. With the opening of the South Atlantic Ocean in the Mesozoic as background, the a subduction zone appeared once more at the western margin together with its associated orogeny and volcanic activity forming the Andes.
In the Tertiary the Intermediate Depression sunk as a graben and remained large periods below sea level together with the Valdivian Coast Range. The coast range as we know it today have resulted from the uplifting above sea level of the Bahia Mansa Metamorphic Complex, a forearc wedge, after it had been separed from the Andes by the Intermediate Depression.
A tectonically and eustatic stable period during the Oligocene and Early Miocene allowed erosion to create deep valleys in the Coast Range and peat swamps at the estuary of the Valdivia basin. About 23.5 million years ago this stable period was interrupted by a mayor volcanic eruption and 23 mya ago an increase in convergence rate at the Peru-Chile Trench caused an uplift of the landscape and renewed erosion. However basin subsidence and a marine transgression formed deep embayments, tidal flats, bayhead deltas and beaches. Sediments from Valdivia River built up a mudflat shoal at the entrance of Corral Bay. On its remains, a formation of crossbeded piedra cancagua (a clayly sandstone), was the Niebla Fort built.
Government and politics
The commune of Valdivia is governed by an elected mayor (alcalde) and a assembly (consejales). The city's current mayor is Bernardo Berger Fett, a member of the right-wing National Renewal Party. The two senators elected in Valdivia's electoral district that is shared with Osorno are Eduardo Frei Ruiz-Tagle (former president of Chile) and Andres Allamand (founder of National Renewal Party). None of them is native to Valdivia.
The creation of Los Rios Region and environmental issues have dominated the politic scene of Valdivia in recent years. The communist lawyer Wladimir Riesco headed the legal actions against pulp mill enterprise CELCO after the deaths of Black-necked Swans in Carlos Anwandter Nature Sanctuary in 2004.
In response to the alleged contamination of Cruces River by the Celco cellulose pulp mill, a group of citizens formed the Accion por los Cisnes (Action for the Swans) ecology group. Action for the Swans attracted the attention of the national newspapers and succeeded in temporarily closing down Valdivia Pulp Mill through a court order.
The main economic activities of Valdivia include; university activity, metallurgy, naval construction , aquaculture, food processing, and forestry-related activities (harvesting and processing of wood from nearby plantations of eucalyptus and Douglas-firs). Large enterprises such as CELCO, Bomasil, and Louisiana-Pacific have established wood processing factories near Valdivia. Specialty beer (Kunstmann) and chocolate (Entrelagos) production are also part of the Valdivian economy. [*]
Tourism is during the summer months and is a major income source for Valdivias economy. Valdivia is an old tourist destination in Chile and is most valued for its natural beauty and culture. In 1917 "Valdivian Week" was celebrated for the first time, and the city began to distinguish itself as a tourism centre in Chile.
Universities and colleges
Valdivia is home to several public and private schools and universities. The largest and oldest university is the Universidad Austral de Chile (UACh) that was founded by decree in 1954 as one of Chile's seven original Chilean Traditional Universities. Its main campus is located in Isla Teja but it has other minor campus and properties spread through the city and Valdivia Province. Since the liberalization of higher education in Chile in the 80s other universities have established campuses in Valdivia, including Universidad Arturo Prat, Universidad San Sebastian, Universidad Santo Tomas and Universidad de Los Lagos.
Like in the rest of Chile, most of Valdivia's best schools are private. Instituto Aleman Carlos Anwandter (Deutsche Schule Valdivia) founded in 1858 is Chile's oldest German school. Other notable private schools are Windsor School and Colegio San Luis de Alba. Among public schools Instituto Salesiano de Valdivia, Liceo Rector Armando Robles Rivera and Liceo Comercial have reached good results.
Facilities for playing football, tennis, rowing, rugby, golf, indoors swimming, indoors and outdoors basketball and some other sports are available throughout the area. Rowing is practised in Valdivia in three clubs: Club Deportivo Phoenix Valdivia, Club Centenario de Remeros and Club Arturo Prat. Valdivian rowers Cristian Yantani and Miguel Cerda won the first place in Men's Lightweight Coxless Pair-Oared Shells at the world championship in Seville, 2002.
Club Deportivo Valdivia is Valdivia's main basketball team and plays in Chiles first division, DIMAYOR where it won the 2001 season. In 1977 and 2001 Valdivia hosted South Americas Men's Basketball Championship.
The football club Club Deportivo Deportes Valdivia, founded in 2003, plays currently in the [[Liga Chilena de Futbol: Tercera Division|Chilean third division]].
Roads and bridges
Most of Valdivia lies on the southern side of the Valdivia and Calle-Calle Rivers but other areas of the city such as Isla Teja and Las Animas are connected by bridges. The main accesses to the city are Calle-Calle Bridge from the north and a southern access. Both accesses connect the city with the Pan-American Highway and run through forested areas and wetlands.
Calle-Calle Bridge, the first bridge built, connects the city with Las Animas and forms the northern highway access to the city. Pedro de Valdivia Bridge was built in 1954 and connects Isla Teja island, where many German immigrants lived. During the Great Chilean Earthquake only the minor Caucau Bridge (Las Animas-Isla Teja) was destroyed, while all other bridges were repaired and are still in use. In 1987 Augusto Pinochet opened Rio Cruces Bridge making the coastal town of Niebla accessible by road, and also Torobayo and Punucapa. Calle-Calle Bridge, the main access to the city was enlarged in the 1990s.
Until highway bridges were built, Valdivia's economy and citizenry depended upon boat traffic on the surrounding rivers. Nowadays the rivers are used mainly by tourist boats and by commercial ships built or repaired in Asenav, one of Chile's most important shipyard companies. Fishing boats travel inland from the coast to sell fish at the Feria Fluvial market. Only one ferry operation remains significant, the Niebla-Corral line, as is it much shorter to reach Corral by ferry than following a circuitous road. Some of the locations that are regularly reached by tourist boats include Mancera Island and Punucapa.
The city is served mainly by Pichoy Airport that lies 32 km northeast of the city following the north entrance road that connects the city with the Pan American Highway. The smaller but much nearer Las Marias Airport is used primarily by minor airplanes and no airlines operate there.
Neuquen, Argentina since 2003.
Hamburg, Germany since 1920.
Mount Pleasant, Michigan, USA
Tacoma, Washington, USA
Valdivian Coastal Reserve
Flag of Valdivia
Francisco Solano Asta-Buruaga y Cienfuegos, Diccionario geografico de la Republica de Chile (Geographic dictionary of the Republic of Chile), SEGUNDA EDICION CORREGIDA Y AUMENTADA, NUEVA YORK, D. APPLETON Y COMPANIA, 1899. pg. 859-862 Valdivia - Ciudad
Bruggen, Juan. Fundamentos de la geologia de Chile, Instituto Geografico Militar 1950.
Valdivia Knol (English)
Ilustre Municipalidad de Valdivia (in Spanish)
Diario Austral de Valdivia, Valdivian newspaper (in Spanish).
Geology and geomorphology of Valdivia and Los Rios Region
Museo de Arte Contemporanea (MAC), a modern art museum
Museo Fuerte Niebla, Niebla fort's museum
Museo Philippi, a museum about the naturalist Rodolfo Armando Philippi
La Libreria de Valdivia, biggest bookstore in south of Chile (in Spanish)
Panoramicas de Valdivia en 360 (in Spanish)
Valdivia (in Spanish)
Anime related internet forum made in Valdivia (in Spanish)
Alwoplast (Valdivian designer/builder of custom catamarans)
Cerveza Kunstmann (local beer maker)
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Valdivia, Chile