Canete is a city and commune in Chile in Arauco Province, Biobio Region. It has approximately 16,000 inhabitants and it is located 154 km from Arauco and to the south of Concepcion.
In 1552, Pedro de Valdivia founded the fort of San Diego de Alcala de Tucapel, at the site of present city of Canete. In 1553, after destroying the fort, the native Mapuche defeated the Spanish army here in the Battle of Tucapel, and killed Pedro de Valdivia. The city of Canete was later founded between December of 1557 and January of 1558 by the Governor Garcia Hurtado de Mendoza with the name of Canete de la Frontera three kilometers to the west of the present location of the city. Canete was named after Mendoza's father, Andres Hurtado de Mendoza, 3rd Marquis of Canete, Viceroy of Peru.
Disastrous military defeats forced governor Francisco de Villagra to order the city to be abandoned in January of 1563. A new foundation of the city, ordered by Rodrigo de Quiroga in 1566 did not prosper either due to the constant attacks by the Mapuche. The present city was founded on the 12th of November 1868 by colonel Cornelio Saavedra Rodriguez as part of the pacification of Araucania. In 1960, Canete came to prominence for being the town closest to the epi-center of the 1960 Valdivia earthquake, the strongest earthquake recorded by man.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Canete, Chile