Quiriquina Island, Chile located at the entrance to the Bay of Concepcion, 11 km north of Talcahuano.
In April, 1557, Don Garcia de Mendoza, Spanish viceroy of the Kingdom of Chile, arrived at the harbor of Conception, with a large force of infantry and established himself upon the island of Quiriquina. He used it as a base for his campaingn against the Mapuche, in the continuing Arauco War.
It was used as a concentration camp for political prisoners for Conception and the region of Bio-Bio. This camp was active from September 11, 1973 to April of 1975.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Quiriquina Island