Communes of Chile
Magellan and Chilean Antarctica Region
Communes of Chile Forum
Antartica is a Chilean commune in Antartica Chilena Province, Magallanes and Antartica Chilena Region, which covers all of the Territorio Chileno Antarticothe territory in Antarctica claimed by Chile. It ranges from 53W to 90W and from the South Pole to 60S, overlapping the Argentine and British Antarctic claims. It is administered by the Cabo de Hornos municipality in the South American mainland.
Antartica was created on July 11, 1961, and was dependent on the Magallanes Province until 1975, when the Antartica Chilena Province was created, making it dependent administratively on Puerto Williams, the province capital.
The official population figure for the area, as of the census of 2002, is given as 130 . It has increased since then to about 1000. This does not include the staff of non-Chilean bases in the area.
Permanent Chilean stations and settlements
The largest population center is located on King George Island and consists of Frei Montalva Station, which has an airport , and which is connected to the communal capital, the village of Villa Las Estrellas, which has a town hall, hotel, day-care center, school, scientific equipment, hospital, post office and bank. This enclave is a center of logistical support for the other eight countries with scientific bases on King George Island.
Nearby Professor Julio Escudero Base, controlled by the Antarctic Institute of the Ministry of Foreign Relations, is the main Chilean scientific facility in Antarctica.
Captain Arturo Prat Base is a Chilean Antarctic research base located on Greenwich Island. Opened February 6, 1947, it is the oldest Chilean Antarctic station. Until March 1, 2006, it was a base of the Chilean Navy, on which date it was handed over to the regional government of Magallanes and Antartica Chilena Region. Until February, 2004, it had been a permanent base. Afterwards, it had served as a summer base of ionospheric and meteorologic research. There have been plans to reopen the station for permanent occupation starting March, 2008.
The only permanent Chilean station on the Antarctic mainland (Antarctic Peninsula), O'Higgins Station has been in operation since February 18, 1948. It is located on Puerto Covadonga and it is the official communal capital.
The commune consists of two census districts :
Piloto Pardo (pop. 114), consisting of the South Shetland Islands and named after Luis Pardo, with the only civil settlement, Villa Las Estrellas.
Tierra OHiggins (the Antarctic mainland) (pop. 16), with communal capital Puerto Covadonga (O'Higgins Station).
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Antartica