Fort Lonquen was built in 1602 by Governor Alonso de Ribera on the south bank of the Lonquen River nine kilometers from the Itata River. It was established to protect the grain fields and cattle of the local estancias that fed Ribera's Spanish army on La Frontera. Years later a town was established at this point called Nombre de Jesus. By the late 19th century there was only a small village called Lonquen located on the site a few kilometers northwest of the town of Treguaco in the commune of that name in Nuble Province of the Biobio Region of Chile.
Francisco Solano Asta-Buruaga y Cienfuegos. Diccionario geografico de la Republica de Chile, Segunda Edicion Corregida y Aumentada, New York: D. Appleton & Company, 1899, p. 384 Lonquen. Aldea
Crescente Errazuriz. Seis anos de la historia de Chile, p. 78-79
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Fort Lonquen