Fort Chepe was a fort established in 1603 by Governor Alonso de Ribera on Cerro de Chepe (Chepe Hill) west of Concepcion, Chile on the north bank of the Bio Bio River. It was built for defense of the crossing of the Bio Bio River at this point near the mouth of the river, and of the road to old Concepcion. During the Chilean War of Independence guns on these heights opposed the naval landing of the Royalist force of Antonio Pareja on March 27, 1813, and also was a factor in later battles west of Concepcion.
Francisco Solano Asta Buruaga y Cienfuegos, Diccionario geografico de la Republica de Chile, SEGUNDA EDICION CORREGIDA Y AUMENTADA, NUEVA YORK, D. APPLETON Y COMPANIA. 1899. pg. 227 Chepe (Cerro de)
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Fort Chepe