Argentine National Museum of History
History of Argentina
Museums in Argentina
National museums of Argentina
History museums in Argentina
History of Argentina Forum
The Argentine National Historical Museum is located in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and is a museum dedicated to the history of Argentina, exhibiting objects relating to the May Revolution and the Argentine War of Independence.
The museum, which was first called the "Historical Museum of the Capital" (Museo Historico de la Capital), was created by mayor Francisco Seeber on May 24, 1889.
Adolfo Carranza was designated director of the museum, which was inaugurated on February 15, 1891, in premises belonging to the national government. Part of the collection was gathered from donations of relatives of important figures in the May Revolution and the wars of independence. Other objects were part of the collection of the Public Museum (Museo Publico) created in 1822 by Bernardino Rivadavia.
The museum was located on governmental lands located at Santa Fe avenue 3951, now occupied by the Buenos Aires Botanical Garden.
When the municipality of Buenos Aires took the lands sold by Angela Alzaga, now partially occupied by the Parque Lezama, the museum was relocated to the existing mansion. In the relocation, the lands of the Botanical Garden passed to the municipal government, and the museum to the national government.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Argentine National Museum of History