Calabozo, or Calaboso, an inland town of Venezuela, once capital of the province of Caracas in the colonial period, formerly in the State of Miranda and former capital of the state of Guarico. Population (1891) 5,618.
It is the seat of the Roman Catholic archdiocese of Calabozo.
Calabozo is situated in the midst of an extensive llano on the left bank of the Guarico river, on low ground, 325 feet above sea-level and 123 miles S.S.W. of Caracas. The plain lies slightly above the level of intersecting rivers and is frequently flooded in the rainy season; in summer the heat is most oppressive, the average temperature being 69 Fahrenheit.
In its vicinity are thermal springs. The principal occupation of its inhabitants is cattle-raising. The town is well built, regularly laid out with streets crossing at right angles, and possesses several fine old churches, a college and public school. It is a place of considerable commercial importance because of its situation in the midst of a rich cattle-raising country.
It is believed to have been an Indian town originally, and was made a town as one of the trading stations of the Compania Guipuzcoana in 1730. However, like most Venezuelan towns, Calabozo made little growth during the 19th century. In 1820 the Spanish forces under Morales were defeated here by the revolutionists under Bolivar and Paez.
Sources and references
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Calabozo