Hearst Island is an ice-covered, dome-shaped island lying 6 km east of Cape Rymill, in the Weddell Sea, off the eastern coast of Palmer Land. The island is 58 km long, in a North-South direction, 11 km wide, and rises to 365 metres, or 1200 feet.
It was first sighted on a flight on December 20, 1928 by Sir Hubert Wilkins. Thinking it was part of the mainland of Antarctica, he named it Hearst Land, for William Randolph Hearst who helped finance the expedition. It was resighted and its insularity ascertained in 1940 by members of the USAS who explored this coast by land and from the air. They named it Wilkins Island. Examination of aerial photographs have shown, however, that this large island is what Wilkins considered Hearst Land.
Merriam-Webster's Online Geographical Dictionary
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Hearst Island