Colon, Entre Rios
Colon is a city in the . It is located in the east of the province, on the western shore of the Uruguay River, and has about 21,000 inhabitants . It lies opposite Paysandu, Uruguay, to which it is linked across the river by the General Artigas Bridge.
The city was founded in 1863 by General Justo Jose de Urquiza, former caudillo of Entre Rios and then the first constitutional President of Argentina.
Colon is the center of an important touristic region. Though it is a relatively small city, it features high-quality hotels, a casino, and camping sites. It also has hot springs and associated facilities. The neighboring towns allow for small-scale historical sightseeing, since they were mostly created as agricultural colonies by European immigrants (especially from Switzerland).
In the Colon area (about 60 km from the city) lies the El Palmar National Park, a large reserve of Yatay palm trees (Syagrus yatay), informally known as Palmar de Colon. The Palacio San Jose, former country residence of General Urquiza and now a national monument, is also near Colon, closer to the city of Concepcion del Uruguay.
ReferencesMunicipality of Colon, Entre Rios - Official website.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Colon, Entre Rios