Coat of arms of Chile
The coat of arms of Chile dates from 1834 and was designed by the English artist Charles Wood Taylor. It is made up by a figurative background divided in two equal parts: the top one is blue and the bottom, red. A five pointed white star is in the centre of the shield. This background is supported in one side by a condor, the most significant bird of prey from the Andes, and in the other, by a huemul, the most singular and rare mammal of the Chilean territory. Both animals have in their heads the navy's golden crown, symbol of the heroic deeds of the Chilean Navy in the Pacific Ocean.
The coat of arms is crowned by a three feathered crest; each feather bearing one colour: blue, white and red. This crest was a symbol of distinction that former Presidents of the Republic used to wear on their hats.
Underneath the coat of arms and on the ellaborated pedestal, there is a white band with the motto: "Por la Razon o la Fuerza" ("By reason or by force").
This emblem is the last of a series of variations due to diverse circumstances and understandings.
The first Coat of arms
The first Coat of arms was established during the office of President Jose Miguel Carrera, in 1812. It was designed over an oval in which center was depicted a column representing the Tree of Freedom. On top of this column was a terrestrial globe; over the globe, a lance and a palm leaf crossed and over these two, a star.
Standing, on both sides of the column, was the figure of a woman and a man, both indigenous. On top of everything was written, in Latin, "Post Tenebras Lux" and at the bottom, "Aut Consilio Aut Ense" ("By Council or by Sword").
In 1817 two new Coats of arms emerged, both variations of this last one, but did not last long.
Transitory coat of arms
Two years later, on 23 September 1819, a new project for a coat of arms was approved in the Senate. It was a dark blue field, with a column standing on a white marble pedestal in the middle. On top of this column, the new American world with the word "Freedom" over it. Above this sign, a five pointed star, representing the Province of Santiago. Two similar stars, representing Concepcion and Coquimbo, were at each side of the column.
This combination of elements was surrounded by two small branches of laurel with their buds tied with a tricolor ribbon. Around this ribbon, the whole aromory of the country was depicted in strict order: cavalry, infantry, dragons, artillery and bombardiers.
To complete the Coat of arms, an indigenous man held it with his hands over his head, while sitting on an American cayman with one foot resting on the Horn of Plenty. The cayman had, in its jaws, the Lion of Castile, whose crown laid fallen on one side and was holding the ripped Spanish flag with its front paws.
[[:commons:Coats of arms of Chile|Gallery of Chilean coats of arms]]
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Coat of arms of Chile