Jesuit Block and Estancias of Cordoba
Cordoba Province (Argentina)
World Heritage Sites in Argentina
Cordoba Province (Argentina) Forum
The Jesuit Block and Estancias of Cordoba are a former Jesuit reduction built by missionaries in Cordoba, Argentina, named a World Heritage Site in 2000.
The Manzana Jesuitica contains the University of Cordoba, one of the oldest in South America, the Monserrat Secondary School, a church, and residence buildings. To maintain such a project, the Jesuits operated six Estancias around the province of Cordoba, named Caroya, Jesus Maria, Santa Catalina, Alta Gracia, Candelaria and San Ignacio.
The farm and the complex, started in 1615, had to be left by the Jesuits, following the 1767 decree by King Charles III of Spain that expelled them from the continent. They were then run by the Franciscans until 1853, when the Jesuits returned to The Americas. Nevertheless, the university and the high-school were nationalized a year later.
Each Estancia has its own church and set of buildings, around which towns grew, such as Alta Gracia, the closest to the Block. The Estancia San Ignacio no longer exists. The Jesuit Block and the Estancias can be visited by tourists; the Road of the Jesuit Estancias has around 250 kilometres of length.
Jesuit Block and Estancias of Cordoba - Argentine Tourism Office
World Heritage at UNESCO
Information on the Block and each Estancia
Images of the Estancias - Government of Cordoba
Jesuitic institutions in Argentina
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Jesuit Block and Estancias of Cordoba