Santa Maria la Mayor
Reduccion de Santa Maria la Mayor (Reduction of Holy Maria Mayor), located in the Santa Maria Department of the Misiones Province, Argentina, at approximate coordinates , was one of the missions or reductions founded in the 17th century by the Jesuits in the Americas during the Spanish colonial period.
The Jesuit reduction was found in founded in 1626, and by 1744 it held a population of 993. It was abandoned when the Jesuits were expelled from the Spanish colonies in 1767.
The ruins of the reduction were declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1984, together with other reductions in the area. The ruins have been taken over by vegetation, and are not as well preserved as those of San Ignacio Mini, also in Misiones.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Santa Maria la Mayor