Campo de Mayo
Campo de Mayo is a military base located in Greater Buenos Aires, Argentina, northwest of Buenos Aires.
Campo de Mayo covers an area of and is one of the most important military bases in Argentina, site of the General Lemos Non-Commissioned Officers' School of the Argentine Army.. It is also home of the Argentine Army Aviation
Development of the base was authorized by a Congressional bill sponsored by the Minister of War, General Pablo Riccheri, and signed by President Julio Roca on August 8, 1901. A site was later chosen northwest of Buenos Aires, for which land was purchased from Eugenio Mattaldi in 1910.
Between 1976 and 1982, during the Dirty War, there were four secret detention centres inside the base. The most notorious were "La Casita", "Prision Militar de Encausados", "El Campito" and the "Hospital Militar," where newborn babies were confiscated from pregnant women among the disappeared by the regime.Andersen, Martin. Dossier Secreto. Westview Press, 1993.
The Campo de mayo was also the site of an April 1987 mutiny by Lt. Col. Aldo Rico and executed by men loyal to him known as Carapintadas . Instigated despite the passage of the Full Stop Law, which limited prosecutions of nearly 600 officers implicated in the Dirty War, the incident was tantamount to a coup attempt against President Raul Alfonsin, who successfully stayed the mutiny.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Campo de Mayo