Buildings and structures in Chile
Libraries in Chile
Monuments and memorials in Chile
Monuments and memorials in Pichilemu
Buildings and structures in Chile Forum
Casino Ross is a historical casino building located in the Agustin Ross avenue, in front of Ross Park, in Pichilemu, Chile. The building was constructed in the late 1800s, and in 1906 the first Chilean casino was established there. It was closed in 1932 and converted into a hotel which functioned until 1980s. The building is now Pichilemu's cultural centre.
The casino is named after Agustin Ross Edwards, a Chilean writer, member of parliament, minister and politician. He was part of the powerful family Ross Edwards, which founded the newspaper El Mercurio years earlier. Based on his european experience, Ross bought a place named "La Posada" or Petren Fund in 1885. At that time, it was just some barracks with thick walls with a ground of 300 hectares.
The old Ross Casino was constructed in the late 1800s by Ross himself. It contained the first mail and telegraph service and a big store. The building had three floors, and was raised using imported materials. In January 20, 1906, the first Chilean casino was opened in that building. It was run until 1932, when Vina del Mar Casino was opened. After the closing of the Ross Casino, the building was converted into a hotel was which functioned until the 1980s.
The structure of the Ross Casino building is very close to that of the Grand Trianon, from the Tuileries Palace in Paris. Its condition has deteriorated since the closing of the hotel in the 1980s. During the early 2000s, it was used as a public place for reunions and cultural meetings. It was renovated and re-opened in 2009 as a cultural arts center. It currently hosts several gallery spaces and a public library.
The old casino (1905) and its gardens (1885) are an important part of the city. It was named Historic Monument by the National Monuments Council on February 25, 1988, by the supreme decree N 100.
Ross was also the administrator of the great Juana Ross de Edwards fortune, the Nancagua Hacienda, located near the city of same name. He designed an urban set of high environmental value and landscape, transforming "La Posada" to a hotel .
Ross also built several chalets, terraces, embankments, stone walls, a balcony in front of the beach and several large houses with imported building materials and furniture from France and England. Additionally, he put up a park and a forest of more than 10 hectares. Ross turned Pichilemu into a summer resort town for affluent people from Santiago. He, however, could not build a dock for the city, as he had planned.
In 1935, the Ross successors ceded to the Illustrious Municipality of Pichilemu all the Ross constructions under condition that the municipality hold them for recreation and public access.
During the restoration of the casino, a number of historical items were found. Those included newspapers, specifically a copy of Las Ultimas Noticias from February 1941, when the Ross Casino served as hotel; an American telephone battery from 1909, and a tile from the casino's ceiling with signatures and drawings by the workers during its construction in 1904.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Ross Casino