Perito Moreno, Santa Cruz
Cities, towns and villages in Santa Cruz Province (Argentina)
Cities, towns and villages in Santa Cruz Province (Argentina) Forum
Perito Moreno is a town in the northeast of Santa Cruz Province, Argentina, 25 km east of Lake Buenos Aires. It should not be confused with the Perito Moreno National Park over 300 km south by road, or the Perito Moreno Glacier near El Calafate. The town is the capital of the department of Lago Buenos Aires. It lies on the RN43, a paved road which links Caleta Olivia on the Atlantic coast to Los Antiguos and the Chilean frontier 60 km west, and Ruta 40, running north and south.
The town is a centre of cattle ranches and smallholdings producing fruit and vegetables. Tourism is also an important industry. Perito Moreno is the closest town to Cueva de las Manos, 170 km south by road, and Parque Laguna.
In the 2001 census the town had a population of 3,588.
The town was founded in 1910, as a rest stop for travellers by the springs which give rise to the Rio Deseado. The place was called Pari-Aike (meaning "place of reeds") by the Tehuelche, but the town was officially called Nacimiento in 1927. The name was changed in 1944 to Lago Buenos Aires, and in 1952 to Perito Moreno, for the explorer Francisco Moreno.
Moon travel guide
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Perito Moreno, Santa Cruz