Fusagasuga (or Fusa) is a town and municipality in the department of Cundinamarca, in central Colombia. It is located some forty miles from the capital, Bogota. With 122,000 inhabitants, Fusagasuga is one of the largest municipalities in the department. It was founded in 1562 by Spanish priests.
It borders Pasca, Arbelaez, Tibacuy, Silvania and other municipalities of Sumapaz. At its elevation of 5,669 feet above sea level, the town's average temperature ranges from 18-20C.
The interpretation of the name in Spanish varies from "Mujer que se hace invisible" (Woman who becomes invisible) to "Mujer que se esconde tras la montana" (Woman who hides herself behind the mountain). However, many people shorten its name to "Fusa".
The Sutagaos inhabited the region until the new town was founded by Oidor Bernardino Albornoz between the 5th and 13th of February in 1562. Not much is known about the previous indigineous residents. During the visit of Oidor Ibarra, there were 759 indigenous people residing in Fusagasuga. When Oidor Arostequi arrived in February 1760, the indigenous population had dwindled to 85, and there were 644 new settlers divided among 109 families. On February 19, 1760, a small hospital was established near the church and Father Vicente of Fresneda was given charge of it.
During a visit, two officials, Moreno and Escandon, considering the decline in the indigenous population and the corresponding growth in the local settler population, issued a decree on January 8, 1776 that the native villages in the Fusagasuga area, Pandi and Tibacuy, no longer existed, and consolidated them into the present-day city of Pasca. In the wake of this decision, all streets and plazas in the cities were renamed.
In 1771, on the direction of the mayor of Fusagasuga, the viceroy Messia de la Zerda ordered the construction of a new avenue, Santafe, which would go from Fusagasuga, passing through the nearby town of Sibate. On August 8, 1774, Father Francisco Escobar announced that Fusagasuga was on the road that passed over the mountains and led to the neighboring towns of Apicala and Melgar; such that travelers could not reach Bermajal, located on the same mountain as Fusagasuga, without passing through Fusagasuga. This established the suburb's local importance.
In a directive issued August 7, 1846, the president of the Colombian republic nationally recognized the road from Fusagasuga to the southern provinces, which prompted the construction of a road over the Sumapaz river in Boqueron. In 1852, Fusagasuga became part of the province of Tequendama.
On February 9, 1877, a battle took place in the hacienda El Novillero between government forces led by General Mogollon and the rebels led by Colonel Juan Ardila and Lucas Moreno. The first hospital was constructed in 1893 by the Congregation of the Sacred Heart of Jesus with money donated by Don Manuel Maria Aya Caicedo and Lady Sagrado Cleofe Diaz, who also founded an adjoining nursing home. Following a directive issued on December 20, 1895, Fusagasuga was made capital of the province of Sumapaz, which was created by National Directive 489 on November 7, 1895 and made into Law 162 in 1896.
On February 22, 1893, Doctor Jose Manuel Goenaga, minister of obras of President Miguel Antonio Caro, contracted the construction of a highway between Sibate, Fusagasuga, and Boqueron. The project's engineer was Enrique Pabon Lievano, a native of Fusagasuga. The project was commenced in 1905 under the administration of President Rafael Reyes but suspended on February 10, 1906 because of an attack by the Barro Colorado. It resumed in March of 1913. The highway reached Fusagasuga in 1930 and Arbelaez in 1934.
In 1907, an iron and wood bridge was finished over the river Sumapaz in Boqueron which was given the name "Puente Eliseo Medina" to honor the administration of the time. In 1930, the bridge was used by automobiles for the first time, and was replaced by the current bridge in 1953.
By article 12 of ordnance 21 in 1944, the construction of a highway between Fusagasuga and Boqueron by the river Llano commenced.
The first cemetery, which was on the site of "Pekin" opened in 1822. It was replaced by a second one in 1852 which was located in front of the hospital. A third cemetery was opened by the Cura Sabogal on October 31, 1910.
In 1929, in the Quinta Coburgo, the candidacy of Enrique Olaya Herrera was announced. In 1970, the Institute Tecnico Universitario (Technical Institute University) was opened. It had been created by ordenance 45 issued on December 19, 1969 and established there by directive 537 on May 8, 1970 by Governor Joaquin Pineros Corpas.
The city's main church has been rebuilt numerous times, and for a variety of reasons. The first church was built in June of 1658 by Father Andres Mendez de Valdivieso. The second church was built by Father Poveda in 1707, and lasted until 1865. The third church was built soon after by Father Antionio Martinez. It was made of bricks, but collapsed on September 19, 1908. The fourth church was begun in its place on June 6, 1909, and was consecrated August 15, 1926, soon after its completion. It was consecreated by the local Archbishop, Ismael Perdomo. However, there were other churches throughout the city's existence, including the Nuestra Senora de Belen , consecrated onAugust 16, 1786.
Due to its warm climate, Fusa includes a lot of vacational hotels and resorts, pool parks, cabin hotels. The Pan-American highway goes through Fusa territory making it obligued pass to the colombian cities in the south-west such as Ibague, Neiva, Cali and others.
Over the highway can be seen green houses, a lot of plant and flower stores, handcrafted rustic furniture stores and local food restaurants.
Fusagasuga is home to a football (soccer) team called Expreso Rojo which plays in the Colombian second division.
Famous people from Fusagasuga
Lucho Herrera cyclist
Official Fusagasuga website
Unofficial Fusagasuga website
Historical information on Fusagasuga
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Fusagasuga