Chia is a town and municipality in the Cundinamarca department of Colombia, located to the north of Bogota on the main road to Zipaquira. Its history dates back to the pre-Columbian era. The name comes from the Chibchan language and means "moon" or "month".
Due to its proximity to Bogota (20 km), Chia has effectively become a dormitory suburb of the capital. It is also home of the Universidad de la Sabana.
The municipality of Chia is limited to the south by the Capital District of Bogota and the municipality of Cota; to the West by Tenjo and Tabio; by the North limited with Cajica and Sopo; the East with Municipality of Sopo.
Chia was a Muisca settlement in the pre-Columbian era, and an important ceremonial center of worship to the moon deity Chia goddess. In 1537 the Spanish, under the command of Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada, took possession of the town.
In 1781, during the Revolt of the Comuneros, the march of the insurgents towards Bogota stopped near Chia in order to cross the Bogota River, in what is now known as the Bridge of the Common . At that site the viceroy signed a series of concessions to the rebels. However, once the rebel group had dispersed, the viceroy declared the concessions invalid for having been signed "under pressure".
Sites of interest
Chia Mall (Centro-Chia)
Chia: Ciudad de la luna Colombia tourism site
Official site of the Chia city council
: FOTW: Flag and Coat of Arms of Chia
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Chia, Cundinamarca