Female Peronist Party
The Female Peronist Party, also known as the Feminist Peronist Party and the Peronist Feminist Party, was the women's branch of the Peronist Justicialist Party of Argentina. It was founded by Eva Peron in the late 1940s. After the Peronist Feminist Party was founded, twice the amount of women were allowed to attend university.Fowler, Will. Latin America since 1780. Second Edition. 2008. p.116 With the set up of the Peronist Feminist Party, women's centres were set up in poor Argentinian neighbourhoods. These centres provided a wide range of services including medical, legal and social services . At the time of the party's founding, women were largely absent from the political process in Argentina and were not allowed to vote.
In the first elections (in 1951) in which women could run for office, 24 were elected to the Argentine Chamber of Deputies, all Peronists. Also, seven female senators were elected, making Argentina the country with the most women representing the government . Following the death of Eva Peron, Delia Parodi, one of those deputies, led the party until the military coup of 1955.
Will Fowler. Latin America: since 1780. Hodder Education. 2008. p. 116
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Female Peronist Party