Compania Argentina de Pesca
Economy of Argentina
History of Argentina
Defunct companies of Argentina
Economy of Argentina Forum
Compania Argentina de Pesca was initiated by the British-Norwegian whaler and Antarctic explorer Carl A. Larsen, and established on 29 February 1904 by three foreign residents of Buenos Aires: the Norwegian consul P. Christophersen, H.H. Schlieper (US national)), and E Tornquist (a Swedish banker). Larsen was the companys Manager, in which capacity he organized the building of Grytviken, the first land-based whaling station in Antarctica put into operation on 24 December 1904.
Compania Argentina de Pesca applied for a British whaling leases at the British Legation in Buenos Aires; the application was filed by the company's president Christophersen and Captain Guillermo Nunez, a technical advisor and shareholder in the company who was also Director of Armaments of the Argentine Navy. The lease was granted by the Governor of the Falkland Islands and Dependencies on 1 January 1906, and subsequently renewed.
In 1960 Compania Argentina de Pesca ceased its operations on South Georgia, selling the Grytviken whaling station to Albion Star (South Georgia) Ltd. (Falkland Islands).
History of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Sovereignty of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Carl Anton Larsen
Robert K. Headland, The Island of South Georgia, Cambridge University Press, 1984.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Compania Argentina de Pesca